Friday 8 April 2011

my entire life.

last week, i had a new pupil in one of my classes.
the class teacher told me that she was living in the states before.
i thought that doing english would be extremely boring for her.
and yes, i did check if understand what i asked her in english, the answer is NO.

what i asked her was "so, where about did you live in the states?"
she gave me a blank face.
then i went on "do you understand me if i talk with you in english?"
she shook her head and started blabbing away in french.
exactly what i was expecting - i had a french lecturer back home, he had 2 children, both born in sheepland.
when i was playing with the kids, they spoke only french with me...
that was in sheepland, so you would imagine now being HOME in france.
they would do nothing but speak french again.

when other kids teased her for being american.
she said "i spent nearly my entire life living in the states", adding "but i am FRENCH."
what i didn't tell my kids was - worry not, she's full french, only started learning english earlier than you guys and isn't capable of having conversations with english speakers fluently (or in fact, at all).

she made such a proud face emphasising "toute ma vie aux etats-unis".
she's in CE1 - the entire life means 6 years (and a half)...
too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment