Thursday 20 January 2011

l'écriture cursive

it's not the first time that my kids would yell "no, it's not written like that!" while i'm trying my best to spell something for them on the board.
well, if you can tell it's a letter "L", then it's not that bad!
sometimes that happens too often, i'd lose my patience and just write in print.

during lunch ms k was marking her kids' handwriting homework.
it's such a big deal here in france, to have perfect cursive handwriting.
i was already shocked when i first came.
my 6-year-olds have perfect handwriting while i write like a kid.
well, i was taught how to do cursives once upon a time, too. but but but...

come to handwriting, i've got to mention that at my school, there are desks designed for fountain pen users - there is a hole on the RHS corner of the desk to place your ink bottle.
and all of my kids still have a fountain pen, they use them quite often too.

where was i?
oh yes, ms k marking handwriting.
so seeing how she marked all those beautiful "B"s wrong made me ask the obvious question, "so why do you mark it wrong? they look perfectly fine to me."
"well, just cos."
"why do they have to have perfect handwriting? learning to write letters is hard enough?"
"just cos." ms s echoed in matter-of-factly.
no wonder her son would leave his seat and come to the board to tell me "you have to put an extra half circle as the beginning of L" every time i write his name.

so, what next?
i'll try practicing till i re-master it again.
another thing to do in the evenings to kill time.
thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, tiger kids. Handwriting is overrated. Everybody types now. Only illiterates write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm trying to be illiterate here! :D

    ReplyDelete